Frequently Asked Questions
UnLtd provides funding and support to people who have set up a project or business which helps other people.
So what is Live UnLtd?
Live UnLtd is the name for all of the work UnLtd does with people aged 11–21.
Live UnLtd provides you with the opportunity to create a positive change in your world. We do this by giving Awards of up to £5,000 to get your idea off the ground, as well as providing support from a dedicated Live UnLtd Development Manager.
What is a Live UnLtd Award?
A Live UnLtd Award is up to £5,000 in cash to help get a project started. When someone receives an Award they become a Live UnLtd Award Winner.
What is a Development Manager?
A Live UnLtd Development Manager is someone who helps you to develop your idea and provides support and advice along the way.
What experience do I need?
You don’t need masses of qualifications or experience. In fact you don’t need any, just a great idea for a project in your area and loads of enthusiasm.
How much money can I get?
Our average Award size is £1,500 – with a maximum Award size of £5,000.
If you are aged 11 – 15 we offer awards of up to £500 in addition to support from a Live UnLtd team member.
If you are under 18 years of age you will need parental consent to undertake your project and a designated advisor to support you with the development and running of your project should you be successful.
What is an advisor?
An advisor is an adult you trust who is able to support you throughout the project – this could be a youth worker, teacher, parent or anyone else you choose.
Who can apply?
You should be:
- 11 – 21 years of age
- Living in the UK
- Applying as an individual or informal group, with your own idea. This means that you cannot apply on behalf of an organisation. For example your school, youth club or youth centre.
Applications to Live UnLtd should meet the following criteria:
- Have a positive social impact on your community
- Demonstrate that you have identified a problem and can explain how your project would tackle the problem
- Tell us what specific activities your project includes and what you hope to achieve
- Provide a learning experience or opportunity for you
Applications to Live UnLtd should not be for:
- Your paid employment
- Political campaigning or the advancement of a religion
- Activities outside the law, against public policy, or anything that fosters ethnic, religious or commercial disharmony
- Your living expenses
- Undertaking academic qualifications
- Employing others to run your project
What can a Live UnLtd Award pay for?
- Venue Hire
- Advertising and publicity
- Equipment Hire
- Volunteer expenses
- Travel (within the UK)
- IT equipment
- Business start-up fees
- Registration fees
What can’t a Live UnLtd Award pay for?
- Top-up funding for an existing project, or funding to support an organisation
- Formal academic qualifications
- Payment of loss of earnings, payment for your time, or other costs leading to personal financial gain
- Payment for someone else to run your project. An Award may be used to pay other people – such as a facilitator, or volunteer travel – however these costs should not be your entire budget.
We will consider training costs if it is directly related to carrying out your project.
How do I apply?
Applying is simple. First press the ‘Get Started’ button on the right of this page to fill in our quick enquiry form. A Live UnLtd team member will contact you on the details you provide within 3 working days.
Can I apply on my own?
Yes. Most of our Award Winners apply as individuals.
Can I apply as part of a group?
Yes – all you need to do is select one of the group to be the ‘lead individual’ on the application form.
What happens once I’ve applied?
If your project meets the requirements listed above, a member of our team will contact you to arrange to meet you and talk about your idea in more detail. If your project does not meet the basic requirements listed above we will write to you explaining our decision.
How long do applications take to process?
You can expect to wait 4 to 7 weeks between the time you have made your application and the time you will hear our final decision.
How is the cash paid to me?
In most cases we will pay the funding into either your bank account or the account of your parent or guardian. The funds are paid in instalments via a BACS transfer.
How long will I receive support for?
You will be supported in developing your project for 1 year by your Development Manager who you will initially meet with to discuss your idea.
What happens after 1 year?
Before the year comes to an end, your Development Manager will work with you to develop some next steps for you and your project. You will also benefit from being a part of the Live UnLtd network and will have access to other opportunities such as training and events.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO
Step 1. Click the button below to tell us about your project
Step 2. We’ll contact you to have a chat and find out more about you